A superb, small English regulator.
The movement is of 8 day duration and is screwed to a brass bracket mounted to the back of the case, the substantial plates are united by four large pillars and the 4 wheel train has high count pinions with dead beat escapement driving the temperature compensated mercurial pendulum.
The dial is signed @T. COOKE & SONS, 31 SOUTHAMPTON ST. STRAND, LONDON.
The most attractive arched case is of flame mahogany and has a glazed door holding a foliate carving and a stepped plinth to the base.
The silvered brass dial measures a mere 10” in
diameter and is engraved with Roman hour numerals, having a central minute hand and two subsidiary dials for seconds and hours.
Thomas Cooke & Sons. (1837 – 1922)
The precision instrument manufactory business of T. Cooke & Sons was founded by Thomas Cooke in York in 1837. The business expanded greatly and by 1863 he had premises at 31 Southampton Street, London where he remained until his death.
Thomas (1807 – 1868) was a self taught engineer of great ability. His reputation was to become world renowned for the exceptional quality of his instruments which included telescopes, theodolites, lathes, turret clocks and regulator clocks. Indeed it was he who was summoned personally by Prince Albert to Osbourne, the royal retreat on the Isle of Wight, to discuss the setting up of an observatory for the royal family. Cooke subsequently manufactured and installed a telescope at Osbourne and went on to give Queen Victoria and her children lessons in astronomy.
His instruments were exported all over the globe and many of them are still in use today.