A fine example of an English, second period, balance wheel Lantern Clock by Nicholas Coxeter, London.
The substantial frame of typical good quality with dolphin frets (unusually engraved to the sides as well as the front), hinged doors and well formed feet and finials, being suspended by a hoop to the top plate with spikes to the back plate, having a four holed spider with a further finial atop the large bell.
The exquisitely engraved dial depicting tulips and foliage radiating from a central stem and signed ‘Nicholas Coxeter at ye Chaires in Lothbury, Londini fecit’, having a silvered chapter ring with engraved, Roman hour numerals, half hour divisions and inner quarter hour markers together with a heavy, blued steel, single hand.
The thoroughly well made movement of typical early form with the hammer to the right, now having a very well reconstructed balance wheel escapement and well formed wheels and pinions throughout.
Nicholas Coxeter was one of the most prolific clock makers of the period. Born c.1625, he was apprenticed through the Clockmakers’ Company in London to John Pennock (from Yorkshire) until March 1646/7. He became a Captain in the Yellow Regiment of Cromwell’s New Model Army in the 1650’s. He initially worked in Lothbury, later in Long Lane and was Master of the Clockmakers’ Company three times, the last time being for the year 1677/78. He died in the winter of 1679.